Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hospitals and Toothbrushes

This is night 7, day 8 in the ICU waiting room and I've observed A LOT!
There has been heartache and rejoicing.
Lack of sleep and bad coffee are some complaints I hear often.
But one thing I've really noticed that has bothered me is how unprepared most families are that have to spend extended time here in the waiting room.

Like, me, these folks jump in the car right behind their loved one in the ambulance and head to the hospital. Unlike me, MANY of these families are from out of town. I guess I just didn't think about how many towns our city's hospitals serve. Many families travel over an hour to come to be with their loved ones and more often than not, they end up staying in the waiting room for days at a time.

I went home the first night and slept in my own bed. The next day, I packed my bag for the long haul. I packed clothes, books, eye mask, ear plugs, snacks, drinks, my coupon binder (of course) and whatever else I have piled around me right now to keep me busy.

The first night after drinking coffee all day, eating fast food, sitting in those clothes from early morning to late at night and breathing in this DRY air, I opened my overnight bag, pulled out my jammies, sock monkey slippers, hair brush and tie, and was I ever thankful for my toothbrush and toothpaste. But as I looked around at the tired eyes around me, I saw them all watching me walk to the bathroom with my stash.

After a terribly unrestful night on recliners that sleep about as comfortable as rock slabs and waking up with every p.a. announcement and passerby to see if my loved one was ok, I again opened my bag. I grabbed clean clothes and under garments, my shoes, hair brush and spray, make-up, and toothbrush & paste. I stumbled past the same sleepy, worried faces and headed to the bathroom.

The next night here, I met a family from nearly an hour away. They had a 22 year old young lady here in the ICU and, like me, they jumped in the car to race after ambulance. They didn't think for even a second to grab these things. The very 1st morning they were here, their only self-serving complaint they had was how they would love to clean themselves up and brush their teeth. How I had taken what seemed so simple to me for granted. Just to be able to do a few things to make yourself feel a little human in such crisis makes such a difference. Knowing that their situation wasn't one of my fault, I still felt a bit ashamed. As I looked around the room, I saw a basket filled with little treats and snacks left by a local church. Such a kindness. 

So, my gears have been turning. How many of us have an abundance of toothpaste and brushes in our stockpile? I know I do. So my challenge to my local couponing group, donate a basket to your local ICU waiting room of individually packed toothbrushes and toothpaste that we've been racking up for free. If you want to put other items in - go for it! How many families could we serve and it doesn't cost us a penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment